A well-known thought highlighted the significance of creative perception of an individual- “Waste is a waste until we perceive it as a waste”. On this note, let us explore about a unique craft- coconut craft which is practised on our motherland. The differentiating fact about this craft lies in the main raw material of this craft-coconut shells. The material which is usually perceived as a scrap gains a valuable form through the excellent craftsmanship of the artisans.
About Coconut Craft
Coconut craft is widely practiced in the regions where coconut can be found in considerable quantity. In South India, coconut remains a prominent part of the society. The crafts associated with it are just an innovative illustration of the creative mindset of the people belonging to that region. It is a quite recent craft form in comparison to the crafts of other regions given its notable popularity in the recent decades.
It is highly popular in Kerala as the evergreen land of Kerala is closely associated with the growing of ample quantity of coconut. It is known for a greater percentage of coconut cultivation across India. It is a producer of about 45 percent of total production of coconuts in India.The major places where this craft is predominant are Calicut, Trivandrum, Attingal, Neyyatinkara and Quilandy.
NOTEWORTHY FEATURES OF COCONUT CRAFT
Following are the noteworthy features of coconut craft-
- The coconut shellwares are lightweight and easily manageable.
- The process of creation does not involve the application of any environmentally harmful chemicals.
- The products contain greater durability.
- All these items carry a waterproof quality.
- The whole method of production does not result in any kind of waste and thereby does not lead to any kind of burden on the environment.
A Special Technique
Stretched out coconut shell technique was initiated by Mr. R. Gunatilaka. He commenced the creation of distinctive products using the exquisite coconut craft items. He also utilized his craft in the musical instrument of esraj by adding other aesthetic raw materials as well.
Why Coconut Craft must be your first choice?
In the era where the society has regained enough consciousness about sustainability and the responsibilities of an individual towards the environment, coconut craft must be appreciated and encouraged much more than ever before. The primary characteristics of this craft which are enough for it to be prioritized in the national as well as the global market include the following-
- The eco friendly nature of the products.
- It’s biodegradable nature.
- Marvellous product designs.
- Aesthetic features of the products.
- The contemporary nature of the product designs that make them an irresistible choice of the onlookers.
Method of Production
The coconut shellwares are created in the following ways-
- The very first step is the procurement of neatly dried coconut shells directly from the farmers.
- After this, the second step is the selection of the appropriate design for the product.
- Then, the process of scraping the coconut shells is undertaken.
- The shell then undergoes the cutting in order to complement with the exact shape and size of the design.
- The entire process of cutting is completed after the designs are also drawn onto the internal part of the shell.
- Cutting is followed by smoothening the otherwise uneven surface of the coconut shell using the sandpaper.
- The final step involves the polishing of the item with the beeswax so as to brighten it’s appearance. It is completed by drying the piece under the sunlight.
The major tools used in the production of coconut craft include the following-
- Chainsaws– They are very helpful in transforming the hard coconut shells into an alluring shape.
- Sandpaper– It promotes the process of making the external surface of the shells smoother than its original version.
- Brush– It is utilized to clean the inner surface of the cotton.
- Drill– It is primarily used while making key chains or lightening items.
- Glue– It helps in attaching the multiple parts involved in the creation of these handicraft products.
- Knife– The knife is utilized for dividing the shells more efficiently.
The type of shells used in this craft are chosen by the craftsmen themselves as per the required product design.
In order to embellish the external surface of the products more attractively, they are painted with diverse colours.
Behind the Scene Facts
The fragile feature of this craft increases the cost of the preparation as certain coconut shells tend to break in the process.It also has an implication over the selling price of the products. For instance, the market price of a soap case created through coconut craft is around Rs. 150 which is quite expensive in comparison to a soap cases which are created out of other materials. Moreover, the price seems justified if you dig deeper into the actual fact behind such prices i.e the delicate nature of the primary raw material used in this craft.
An Exciting Opportunity for an Hands On Experience
A very exciting aspect about this craft is the fact that you can also engage in the creation of the innovative products at your home by making them yourself. This will not only awaken your dormant artistic capabilities but also let you appreciate the hard work of the artisans involved in creating these magnificent art pieces. You can easily refer to the popular art related websites which share a lot of DIY (Do-it-yourself) ideas for showcasing your innovative products. Although these DIY items include teapot and living room accessories which are simple in nature, they are enough to satisfy your artistic self. So, what are you waiting for?? Start your journey filled with creativity!!
The primary product categories resulting out of this craft are- home decor items, fashion accessories and household utility items including various types of cups , bowls and other cutlery items.
Reasons to Worry
The major reasons behind the limited growth of this craft are as follows-
- Insufficient awareness about the craft
- Absence of professional training for the artisans engaged in this craft in order to enhance their creativity
- Inadequate efforts for the promotion of this craft in the contemporary market
- Reduced initiatives by the Government to ensure profitable businesses based on this craft for the artisans
The next time you see the coconuts in the market, please do remember that it is not merely a fruit. Its beauty extends beyond that. Do think twice before you underestimate the value of a coconut!!!
sikis izleJune 23, 2022 at 2:22 am
If some one wishes expert view concerning running a blog afterward i recommend him/her to pay a visit this blog, Keep up the nice job. Rodrick Tourtellotte
gralion torileJuly 2, 2022 at 3:09 am
Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a terrific site.
kacak bahis siteleriJuly 9, 2022 at 6:13 am
Just came from google to your website have to say thanks. Sergio Mackie
bets10 girisJuly 11, 2022 at 5:52 am
Fabulous, what a weblog it is! This website gives helpful information to us, keep it up. Michal Hernandz
ebonyJuly 20, 2022 at 6:03 am
Excellent way of describing, and nice paragraph to take information ckncerning my presentation focus, which i am going too present in school. Benito Minelli
viagraAugust 10, 2022 at 6:54 pm
You made certain nice points there. I did a search on the topic and found most folks will have the same opinion with your blog. Waylon Carangelo
porno izleAugust 13, 2022 at 12:48 pm
Great article. I am facing many of these issues as well.. Lemuel Zirkles
KANAK MISHRAMay 17, 2023 at 9:40 am
KANAK MISHRAMay 17, 2023 at 9:41 am
Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion! Keep sharing your valuable comments!
KANAK MISHRAMay 17, 2023 at 9:45 am
Thanks a lot. You will surely get more of such helpful information!!
KANAK MISHRAMay 17, 2023 at 9:46 am
Thanks a lot!! You will surely receive more helpful information through this platform.
KANAK MISHRAMay 17, 2023 at 9:47 am
Thanks a lot! Looking forward to more feedback from your side!
KANAK MISHRAMay 17, 2023 at 9:47 am
Thank you so much!
KANAK MISHRAMay 17, 2023 at 9:51 am
Your feedback is highly appreciable. I am grateful for your kind words. Keep coming back to oh my nation for an enriching experience.
KANAK MISHRAMay 17, 2023 at 9:53 am
I am grateful for your feedback. Thank you